Cop charged with sex assaultConst. Charles Quartey suspended from duty, code of conduct reviews also underway
Northern News Services
Monday, August 1, 2016
An RCMP officer in Inuvik has been suspended from duty and charged with sexual assault, an allegation tied to his time as an officer in Nova Scotia in 1995.
Const. Charles Quartey, pictured this spring at a community event in Inuvik, has been suspended from duty and charged with sexual assault, an allegation tied to his time as an officer in Nova Scotia in 1995. - NNSL file photo
Const. Charles Quartey was first placed on administrative duty Nov. 3 last year when officers in the Northwest Territories became aware of an investigation by Mounties in the Maritime province, according to Marie York-Condon, a civilian member of the RCMP in Yellowknife.
Quartey was suspended from duty June 17 as the investigation by the Southwest Nova major crime unit unfolded, according to a news release from RCMP in Nova Scotia.
A single charge of sexual assault has been laid.
His first appearance in court on the charge is scheduled for Sept. 27 in Kentville, N.S. provincial court.
The officer is also subject of two internal RCMP code of conduct investigations, which are being carried out by the Mounties in the territory, York-Condon stated in an e-mail.
Asked if the results would be made public, York-Condon stated that after the investigations are complete, if disciplinary action is recommended the force would advise the public at that time.
The news release states that while members of the RCMP were dealing with an unrelated matter in July 2015, information came forward that alleged Quartey had sexually assaulted a woman in Auburn, N.S. while posted to the Bridgetown detachment in 1995.
It's alleged he touched a women he met while on duty as a police officer in a sexual manner without her consent, according to the news release.
He served the force for six years in Nova Scotia, according to Cpl. Jennifer Clarke, an RCMP spokesperson in that province.
"It's tough to hear about something like this because obviously we hope that people in the communities we police are able to trust police," Clarke said in an interview last week.
"I believe and I realize that citizens in our communities hold the police to a higher standard, so when I hear an allegation like this, it's tough to hear. It's tough to speak to it," Clarke said.
Quartey served in Fort Simpson around 2000 and more recently in Inuvik over his 24 years with the police force.
Since July 2014 he has served on what's called a relief unit based in Inuvik, which means he would fill vacancies as needed in various locations.
He remains suspended pending the outcome of the criminal charge. His duty status will be reviewed after that, the news release states.
RCMP in the territory have not issued a public statement about the officer's suspension and charge.
In an e-mailed response to questions, York-Condon wrote that Quartey is the only officer in the NWT suspended from duty and facing a criminal charge.