Yellowknife Inn

NNSL Photo/Graphic

business pages

Subscriber pages
buttonspacer News Desk
buttonspacer Columnists
buttonspacer Editorial
buttonspacer Readers comment
buttonspacer Tenders

Demo pages
Here's a sample of what only subscribers see

Subscribe now
Subscribe to both hardcopy or internet editions of NNSL publications
. NNSL Logo
Home page text size buttonsbigger textsmall textText size Email this articleE-mail this page

Teenager struck by car
Cab hit 17-year-old girl Saturday morning on Forrest Drive, charges could be laid

Andrew Livingstone
Northern News Services
Published Tuesday, May 4, 2010

SOMBA K'E/YELLOWKNIFE - A 17-year-old girl was struck by a cab on Forrest Drive Saturday morning, sending her to hospital with undisclosed injuries.

NNSL photo/graphic

A bylaw officer and RCMP member collect evidence and take measurements on the afternoon of May 1 after a City Cabs driver struck a 17-year-old girl on Forrest Drive the night before. - Mike W. Bryant/NNSL photo

Police were called the scene of an accident at approximately 2:25 a.m. Saturday morning. The young woman had been hit by a City Cab going down Forrest Drive toward Franklin Avenue, according to the RCMP. The woman was taken to hospital with non life-threatening injuries, said Const. Todd Scaplen, who also said there is a chance charges could be laid against the cab driver.

"A traffic analyst was called out and they did the analysis of the accident site to obtain any evidence of (if) there are any charges to be laid or not," Scaplen said Monday morning.

A City Cab parked at Hak's Auto Body Ltd. Saturday afternoon had substantial damage to the front bumper and a large dent in the hood just above the grill of the vehicle. It also had a smashed windshield. As of Monday afternoon, the vehicle was no longer parked there.

The speed of the vehicle and details of exactly how the woman ended up on the roadway are still being determined by investigators and Scaplen said he wasn't sure when an accident report will be available.

"Could be days, it could be weeks," he said.

"We don't really know how long it will be. We still have some follow up with some witnesses as well."

We welcome your opinions on this story. Click to e-mail a letter to the editor.