Go back


NNSL Logo .
 Email this articleE-mail this story  Discuss this articleOrder a classified ad Print window Print this page

Police Briefs
Man stopped by security

Northern News Services
Published Wednesday, August 15, 2007

YELLOWKNIFE - A man was stopped by security at the Yellowknife Airport after being found to have an extendable baton in his carry-on luggage, according to RCMP Const. Roxanne Dreilich.

Batons are not prohibited or restricted weapons, however, they are not allowed in the cabin of an airplane.

Dreilich said the man was asked to remove the baton, and he voluntarily relinquished it. He was then allowed to board the plane without further incident.

Punched in the face

The RCMP is investigating an incident that occurred outside the Gold Range after a 19-year-old woman came into the detachment reporting that she had been assaulted the previous evening.

The woman said that she was punched in the face by a 37-year-old woman close to midnight on Wednesday, said Dreilich.

Battered husband

Police responded to a domestic dispute on 46th Street at about 2 a.m. on Thursday morning last week. The male occupant of the house had been involved in an argument with his common-law spouse, and tried to leave the residence to avoid escalating the situation, said Dreilich.

It was then that the woman attacked the man and threatened to harm herself, Dreilich said.

Police arrested the intoxicated woman on the scene, and brought her to Stanton Hospital for assessment. She was later released on the condition that she have no contact with the victim.

Man assaulted over food

A 42-year-old man was arrested after punching a 46-year-old man in the face outside the downtown Extra Foods, said Dreilich.

The victim alleged that the younger man assaulted him after he had refused to share food with him.

"The two men were known to each other in some manner but we don't exactly know how," said Dreilich.

The aggressor was later released and set to appear in court in October.

Break and enter

Patrolling officers discovered a 21-year-old man in a downtown business after having their suspicions alerted by a broken window around 2 a.m. last Friday morning. After searching the business, they found the man in the washroom of the building.

Officers do not know how long the man was in the building or whether he planned on stealing anything, said Dreilich. He was released with curfew conditions and is set to appear in court in September.