Email this articleE-mail this story  Discuss this articleWrite letter to editor  Discuss this articleOrder a classified ad  Print this page

Additional recommendations:

  • RCMP, Inuvik Regional Health Board and the Dept. of Health and Social Services should set up a protocol to deal with intoxicated persons who appear to be in a mentally altered state by taking the "harm reduction approach" - a) medical examination b) brief medical history c) set up a secure detox/examination area.
  • RCMP should establish individual digital recording capabilities for all cell camera positions to improve quality of video.
  • RCMP should add audio monitoring and recording capability system and intercom system in each holding cell.
  • RCMP's guard book log should identify if detainee checks by police are visual, video monitoring or physical checks.
  • RCMP should ensure that its officers and guards receive advanced First Aid and CPR training.
  • RCMP should ensure that its members receive cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness training.
  • RCMP should for all monitoring purposes reduce the maximum number of detainees from 10 to five/six per cell (though not an issue in this particular case, the jury heard testimony that up to 10 people can be held in a cell on any given evening).
  • Inuvik Regional Health Board and Dept. of Health and Social Services should consider establishing a CT Scan unit with qualified personnel at the Inuvik Regional Hospital.
  • RCMP should explore practicality and feasibility of installing cushioned material on the lower wall and floor area of the holding area to reduce possibility of injury should a person fall.
  • RCMP should establish a policy requiring regular members to be present at the detachment at all times when cells or holding tanks are occupied.
  • RCMP should consider changing or altering current door structure to the holding cells to improve visibility during visual checks.
  • RCMP should position motion monitors at eye level in guard room instead of current raised position.

  • Inquest calls for changes

    Jason Unrau
    Northern News Services

    Inuvik (Dec 23/05) - Inuvik RCMP have been asked to re-evaluate how intoxicated inmates are handled following a coroner's inquest into the death of Frederick "Buster" McLeod, who died in an Edmonton hospital after being in police custody here Jan. 1, 2004.

    Among the recommendations from a coroner's jury following the three-day inquest is for the police, "(To) establish a policy that all persons in a questionable state of mind to be medically evaluated by a physician before they are placed in cells or holding tanks."

    McLeod had been celebrating New Year's Eve with friends when he ended up at a house party where he was involved in one, perhaps two altercations. After being called to the scene by a neighbour, police found McLeod conscious and on the ground outside the residence.

    According to information released at the inquest, McLeod walked into the Inuvik RCMP detachment and was locked in a cell at approximately 4:20 a.m. Jan. 1, 2004. At 1:24 p.m., an officer tried to wake him but McLeod was unresponsive. After being taken to Inuvik Regional Hospital for examination, McLeod was airlifted to University of Alberta where he died Jan. 2.

    Examiners determined the cause of death was due to blunt cranial trauma, however, where and when McLeod sustained the injury that led to his death remain a mystery.

    Evidence was introduced at the inquest that McLeod may have sustained the fatal injury when he fell backwards into the wall while in the holding cell. Before deliberating and presenting 14 recommendations to the coroner, the jury heard from 13 witnesses.

    As well as mandatory medical examinations for all detainees, the jury recommended that all detainees have a blood-alcohol level test prior to admission as behaviour of those with head injuries can be similar to that of an intoxicated person.

    Staff Sgt. Sid Gray of the Inuvik detachment called the recommendations 'reasonable' but would not offer further comment.

    While the jury's recommendations are not legally binding, NWT Chief Coroner Percy Kinney said the police have a, "Moral and ethical obligation to follow the recommendations."

    McLeod's sister Laura Cardinal is unhappy with police efforts in the matter and is planning to take legal action.

    "The family is not satisfied and as far as we're concerned we're going to a lawyer," said Cardinal, adding that there should have been a better investigation.

    Cardinal also questioned the need to lock up her brother.

    "He was a kind and gentle man, why didn't (the police) just bring him home?" Cardinal asked after the inquest. "I can't rest until I know what happened to Buster, if they were neglectful."

    - With files from Dez Loreen