.
Search
Email this articleE-mail this story  Discuss this articleWrite letter to editor  Discuss this articleOrder a classified ad

Council clears Con deal

Mike W. Bryant
Northern News Services

Yellowknife (June 30/04) - Con Camp residents still don't know what they'll pay the city for the land beneath their homes, but they now know most of council wants to close the deal.

Council voted five to one Monday in favour of selling the lend, ending months of anxious waiting.

Lack of support from council would likely have seen them evicted. Their former employer, Miramar Con Mine, had earlier given them an eviction notice as of June 30.

The mine agreed to hold off on eviction until the city and territorial government -- who own the land under which the trailer courts sit -- could reach a transfer agreement.

A purchase agreement with the city would give the 25 residents the land and open up an additional 27 lots for development by Homes North.

Coun. Alan Woytuik, argued that allowing the trailer court residents to stay could compromise the city's long-range plans for development in the area.

"I think by hiving off a section without seeing the whole development is a knee-jerk reaction," said Woytuik.

"If I had my druthers I would have the existing residents live up to their agreement and moved out of there."

The majority of council disagreed.

"There is a will on council to make this work for everybody or else we wouldn't be here," said Coun. Doug Witty.

The only issue that remains is the purchase price of the land. The city wants residents to pay $1.1 million for the land, which includes clean-up costs.

The residents say the land is worth less than half of that.

Resident Lorna Skinner said they will cross that bridge when they get there.