Email this articleE-mail this story  Discuss this articleWrite letter to editor  Discuss this articleOrder a classified ad
Man jailed for assaults

Gets eight months for string of offences

Jennifer McPhee
Northern News Services

Yellowknife (Apr 18/03) - A man who assaulted his girlfriend in front of her daughter and continued to struggle with police after being shot with a taser three times was sentenced to eight months in jail in territorial court Tuesday.

On Feb. 23, RCMP received a call from a 13-year-old girl about a domestic assault. When they arrived, they saw two women escaping the apartment through a window. They were crying and one was not wearing shoes.

Crown prosecutor Sandy Aitken told the court the man and his girlfriend were waiting for a cab when on 50th Street after the bars closed when he punched her in the face.

Defence lawyer Margot Engley added he actually meant to hit someone else.

When they arrived at the apartment, the man dragged his girlfriend down three sets of stairs and punched her in the chest, said Aitken. He also damaged the door to her apartment.

The woman's 13-year-old daughter saw the assault and the two women fled to the bedroom to call police.

RCMP arrested the heavily intoxicated man. He was released with the condition he not contact the victim.

At the time, the accused was on probation for another offence committed in Ontario and was under a court order not to drink alcohol.

On March 15, the woman called RCMP to complain the man was drunk and suicidal at her house. They had been out celebrating a birthday with mutual friends.

An RCMP officer found the man hiding in a closet. He became violent and the officer "tased" him three times before he settled down for awhile.

Six more officers arrived at the house and the man alternated between crying, whining and cursing, said Aitken. At one point, he told officers he wanted to meet them in a dark alley.

The threats and verbal abuse continued until he was lodged in cells. He kicked one officer in the leg and spit in another's face.

The man doesn't remember much of his contact with the RCMP, said defence lawyer Margot Engley. She also said the man was living with the woman at her consent during the last episode.

In total, he was sentenced for assault, two counts of assaulting a peace officer, breaching a recognizance, failure to comply with a probation order and mischief in relation to property.

The Crown introduced his criminal record and asked for six to nine months in jail and $290 in restitution for the damaged door.

Engley asked for four to six months and a probation order.

The victim wanted a probation order forbidding the man from living with her and allowing contact at her request.

The judge denied this request. "She knows what she's got, he said. "If she wants it, that's up to her."

Engley argued the man is dyslexic, has attention deficit disorder and is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.

The assault did not result in significant injuries for the victim, she added.