Fire in the fryer

Kim Barraclough
Northern News Services

NNSL (July 21/99) - Folks at the Yellowknife Golf Course had a bit of a scare when a fire broke out in the clubhouse kitchen Friday.

"There were flames in the deep fryer," said witness Nathan Zoe. "It was really smokey inside."

Yellowknife airport firefighters were the first to arrive on the scene. Crews from the city's fire department showed up shortly after to help put out the flames and ventilate the building.

The fire damage was contained to the kitchen and how and why the fire started in the fryer is still under investigation by the Yellowknife Fire Department.

Arnold Enge, Yellowknife Golf Club president, was upset about the incident but optimistic.

"It's a little unnerving and unfortunate," said Enge.

"I'm just glad nobody was hurt and the fire department was able to put the fire out quickly."

"Luckily, the course wasn't damaged and we can still golf this afternoon," added Enge.

The initial estimate for the damage the fire caused is $5,000 for the building and $15,000 for contents.

The fire didn't put a damper on a little competition. The Volker Stevin Challenge was still held over the weekend. While it wasn't possible to use the kitchen, people were still eating, drinking and being merry.

A barbecue and bar were set up outside for participants.